Wednesday 3 October 2007

So why'd you go into education

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't say that I don't enjoy the teaching but it is all the other crap that beats you down and turns you into a cynical old bugger before your time.
I am not a bad teacher, in fact, many of my students have actually been inspired by me and my style. I ain't bragging, it is true. I like my students and generally they go on ahead and like me right back.
My pedagogical style stems from the fact that I hated most of my teachers past the third grade and have based my methods on being the opposite of any of them. Unfortunately, many of my colleagues don't share this approach and they just keep repeating the lame shit that was done to them way back when. Lemme give you an example. Here is something I hate - when a teacher says "I already got my degree".
I mean, what does that even mean. I should hope they do - how else did they get the job. I think that should be followed up with a question like - "What's it in? Being a dick? Because you are really good at that. Well done, you."
I recently had a colleague tell me to keep some students waiting, just for the principle of it - or they would always expect me to come running every time they had a problem. I asked her if that wasn't, in fact, what we got paid to do? I didn't make them wait either.
I suppose my basic problem is that my aim, with teaching, is to create more people with whom I can have a decent conversation with. That is it, I don't think this is the sort of aim that Ofsted goes all wet in the pants over but that is it. I just want to be able to go to sleep at night knowing that there might be someone else out there who is interesting enough to engage in conversation at the bus stop.

No comments:

About Me

I am an expat living the UK. I moved here in 2000 and really do love it but I also love to moan (how very British of me) about everything, including life on the island. I am supposed to be able to speak Spanish but I can only order things from menus and insult people after years of not practising anything else.